Traditional Publishing versus Indie Publishing
Many times we often get asked through our brand development work how to best use a book to a brands advantage. As many of you know books are still being referenced as the 21st Century business card and extremely effective at opening doors of opportunity.
Most recently on a discovery call for a new potential client we had this discussion. When you run the numbers out over the typical shelf life of a book which is different than the life span of a book and the numbers are enlightening. The question you have to ask yourself before you get started follow below as many times it really depends on the which might work best for that book, author or season of the brand:
- Where do I want the brand to be in 5 – 7 years after this phone call?
- Do I have the right team of people who believe in that and are equipped to get me there?
- Am I a writer or do I have a writing voice or do we need to find it or build that?
- What are the new trends around where I want to be that we can build into around the brand launch?
- Do I carry credibility in this space or does that need to be built first?
- Can someone talk me out of doing a book? If they can then you shouldn’t do one!
- How can traditional publishing help the brands efforts?
- How can indie publishing or hybrid publishing help the brands efforts?
- What is the best way to use a book and market to the niche around your brand?
- Talk to authors and firms like ours who have done both venues to help you discovery what is the best fit.
If you have a personal question feel free to post one and I will answer them for you in as much detail as possible.